Grab-and-go at the convenience store is no longer about gas, candy and coffee. In recent years, they have also become a destination for food and beverage trends. As consumers become more health-conscious and seek out new and unique products, convenience stores have been adapting to meet these demands. Here are some food and beverage trends that have been gaining popularity in convenience stores:
- Focus on fresh, whole foods: Convenience stores are increasingly offering healthier food options, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, salads, and sandwiches made with whole-grain bread. In addition to traditional snacks, you can also find a variety of energy bars, nuts, and seeds, and other healthy alternatives to traditional snacks.
- Plant-based options: With the rise of plant-based diets, convenience stores are now offering a variety of meatless options such as plant-based burgers, sausages, and deli meats, as well as dairy-free milk and ready-to-drink beverages.
- Grab-and-go meals: Convenience stores offer prepared meals that are easy to grab on the go. These include pre-made sandwiches, salads, sushi, and even hot meals like pasta, rice bowls, and soups.
- Single serve packaging: Convenience stores are now offering more products in single-serve packaging. It makes it easy for consumers to grab a snack or drink on the go, without having to worry about leftovers.
- Better-for-you beverages: C-stores across the globe have seen a rise in energy drinks and better-for-you beverages dispensed from the fountain such as alkaline water and vitamin infused craft sodas.
- Specialty products: All natural products are not just for those high-end grocery stores. You can expect to see organic, gluten-free, and non-GMO options on c-store shelves to cater to a wider range of customers.
- Snacks with a twist: It’s no longer about a small selection of chips and candy. Most c-stores have pivoted to offering small batch snacks with a twist such as flavored popcorn, creative trail mix and local baked concoctions.
As consumer preferences continue to evolve, convenience stores are expected to continue to adapt and offer a wider range of healthier fresh food and better-for-you beverage options. These health and wellness trends reflect the changing consumer needs and preferences, and it’s important for convenience stores to meet consumer demands, elevate user experience, drive incremental purchases, and increase average order value.
If you’re looking for a way to improve your health and well-being, consider adding alkaline water to your daily routine. SmartSoda makes drinking alkaline water easy and delicious.